RISK CHARACTERIZATION IS THE FOURTH STAGE OF ECOLOGICAL RISK ASSESSMENT
Monarkh Veronika – Candidate of Agricultural Sciences, Senior Lecturer of the Department of Landscape Management, Forestry, Horticulture and Viniculture of Vinnytsia National Agrarian University (21008, Vinnytsia, Soniachna Str., 3).
Production of high-quality agricultural production is possible on clean soil only. In Ukraine, areas around abandoned pesticide storehouses are still the main source of the pesticide soil pollution. These storehouses were used for a long time for storage of large quantities of pesticides. Most of pesticides that were stored in these storehouses are very dangerous. For example, there are 10 pesticides in the list of persistent organic pollutants (POPs). In USSR times, obsolete pesticides were accumulated in storehouses and scrapyards all around Ukraine. Spread of POPs into environment cause extreme danger for people and nature due to contamination of ground water, drinking water, plants and animal organisms. According to the Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources of Ukraine, there are over 3000 pesticide storehouses situated on the territory of the country, not taking into account almost 2000 so-called "hot spots" - polluted sites of ruined storehouses. In 2010, The Ministry began implementing a major program aimed for hazardous waste disposal in Ukraine. Risk values have been obtained using a situational risk model that enables to identify the storage buildings (objects) on the territories where special measures should be taken to reduce and eliminate pollution. The research results clearly prove availability of severe local sources of contamination of agricultural lands with organochlorine pesticides. There is a risk of contamination of other environmental objects with hazardous substances and a negative impact of toxic substances on human health. Migration of pesticides from the soil into agricultural products and drinking water has been identified.
The risk characterization stage assesses the frequency and magnitude of toxic effects, their reversibility or irreversibility. One of the methods used is the method of comparison of the results obtained with similar projects and studies. An important condition for the introduction into the general farming use of territories in the zones affected by the former pesticide and agrochemical storages in these settlements is the search for the methods of restoration and purification of soils of these territories from xenobiotics. Only after conducting the work on soil purification and availability of the inspection results showing positive changes, it will it be safe to grow agricultural products.
1. Stokholmska konventsiia pro stiiki orhanichni zabrudniuvachi (2001). [Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants]. URL: http://www.ipen.org /ipenweb/firstlev el/pops.html [in Ukrainian].
2. Natsionalnyi zvit pro stan dovkillia v Ukraini za 2011 rik. Ministerstvo ekolohii ta pryrodnykh resursiv Ukrainy. [National report on the environmental state in Ukraine in 2011, Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources of Ukraine (2012)]. Kiev, LAT-and-K. [in Ukrainian].
3. Mokliachuk L., Petryshyna V., Slobodeniuk O., Zatsarinna Yu (2012). Stali stratehii fitoremediatsii dilianok, zabrudnenykh zastarilymy pestytsydamy, ekolohichnoi ta kharchovoi bezpeky ta bezpeky dlia Pivdenno-Skhidnoi Yevropy ta Ukrainy. [Sustainable strategies of phytoremediation of the sites polluted with obsolete pesticides, Environmental and food safety and security for South-East Europe and Ukraine]. Springer-Verlag, New York, LLC, 81-89. [in Ukrainian].
4. Mokliachuk L., Drebot O., Mokliachuk O., Mokliachuk T. (2014) Ekolohichni ryzyky vid zabrudnennia ukrainskykh gruntiv stiikymy orhanichnymy zabrudniuvachamy. [Environmental risks of contamination of Ukrainian soil by persistent organic pollutants]. Doslidzhennia dovkillia ta ekolohii – Research into the environment and ecology 2 (1). 27-34. [in Ukrainian].
5. Mokliachuk L., Horodyska I., Slobodeniuk O., Petryshyna V. (2010) Fitoremediatsiia gruntu, zabrudnenoho zastarilymy pestytsydamy. Zastosuvannia fitotekhnolohii dlia ochyshchennia promyslovykh, silskohospodarskykh ta ochysnykh sporud [Phytoremediation of soil contaminated with obsolete pesticides. Application of phytotechnology for cleaning of industrial, agricultural and treatment facilities] 113-124. [in Ukrainian].
6. Yerina A.M. (2001). Statystychne modeliuvannia ta otsinky. [Statistical modeling and estimations]. Kyiv. [in Ukrainian].
7. Bethea, R., Duran, B. & Boullion, T. (1985) Statistical Methods for Engineers and Scientists. New York, USA. Marcel Dekker, Inc [Statistical Methods for Engineers and Scientists]. New York: Marcel Dekker. [in English].
8. Aleksieieva I.V., Haidei V.O., Dikhovychnyi O.O., Fedorova L.B. (2011). Dyferentsialne obchyslennia funktsii kilkokh arhumentiv. Vyznacheni intehraly. Dyferentsialni rivniannia [Differential calculus of functions of several variables, methods of calculating a definite integral, systems of linear differential equations]. NTUU ``KPI'' . [in Ukrainian].
9. Prodanchuk M., Velykyi V., Kuchak Yu. (2003). Metodolohichni pidkhody do operatyvno-ekohihiienichnoi otsinky arealu ta obsiahu vykorystannia pestytsydiv u silskomu hospodarstvi v Ukraini [Methodological approaches to the operational-ecological hygiene assessment of the range and volume of pesticide use in agriculture in Ukraine]. Navkolyshnye seredovyshhe ta zdorovya – Environment and health. 75 - 78. [in Ukrainian].
10. Aleksieieva I.V., Haidei V.O., Dikhovychnyi O.O., Fedorova L.B. (2011). Dyferentsialne obchyslennia funktsii kilkokh arhumentiv. Vyznacheni intehraly. Dyferentsialni rivniannia [Differential calculus of functions of several variables, methods of calculating a definite integral, systems of linear differential equations]. NTUU ``KPI'' . [in Ukrainian].
11. Prodanchuk M., Velykyi V., Kuchak Yu. (2003). Metodolohichni pidkhody do operatyvno-ekohihiienichnoi otsinky arealu ta obsiahu vykorystannia pestytsydiv u silskomu hospodarstvi v Ukraini [Methodological approaches to the operational-ecological hygiene assessment of the range and volume of pesticide use in agriculture in Ukraine]. Navkolyshnye seredovyshhe ta zdorovya – Environment and health. 75 - 78. [in Ukrainian].
12. Solomon A.M., Vishtak I.V., Voitsitska O.M., Bondar M.M. (2018). Kharchovi dobavky ta yikh funktsionalna rol. [Nutritional supplements and their functional role]. Zbirnyk naukovykh prats VNAU.Ahrarna nauka ta kharchovi tekhnolohii – Collection of scientific works of VNAU. Agrarian science and food technologies . 4. 147-157. [in Ukrainian].
Topics of the Journal:
Program goals (basic principles): questions of technology and efficiency of crop production, scientific and industrial aspects of agronomic specialties, ecology and forestry.
Articles on such scientific problems are accepted for printing:
Plant production, current state and prospects for development.
Agrochemistry and modern aspects of fertilizers and biologically active substances application.
Feed production, current state and prospects for development.
Selection, seed production, seed science and varieties.
Protection of plants.
Soil managment and soil quality improvement.
Forestry and gardening.
Vegetables and mushrooms, current status and development trends.
Ecology and environmental protection.
Theory and history of agricultural sciences and forestry.
Modern directions of development of arable land and forestry.
Innovative and investment activities in agriculture and forestry.
Directions and efficiency of crop production
Bioenergy resources of crop production and forestry.
Production of renewable energy from biological resources.
Organic farming, the main area of development and production of organic products.
Agriculture and modern crop rotation and soil cultivation.
Horticulture and viticulture.
Processing and storage of crop products.
Beekeeping, current status and development trends.
Contemporary biological research in crop production and forestry.
Progressive technologies of the agricultural complex.
Psychological and pedagogical problems of agrarian education.
The young scientist opinion.
Scientific journal "AGRICULTURE AND FORESTRY" was founded in 1995; it was entitled as Bulletin of Vinnytsya State Agricultural Institute.
In 2010-2014 was enritled as Collection of scientific works of Vinnytsia National Agrarian University.
It has been named as Agriculture and Forestry since 2015.
Listed in the updated list of scientific professional editions of Ukraine on agricultural sciences under the name Agriculture and Forestry (Order of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine of May 16, 2016; No. 515).