ESTIMATION OF HEAT RESISTANCE OF OILSEED RADISH BY LABORATORY METHODS
Tsytsiura Yaroslav – Candidate of Agricultural Sciences, Associate Professor of the Department of Soil Management, Soil Science and Agrochemistry, Vinnytsia National Agrarian University. (21008, Vinnytsia town, Soniachna st. 3, build 5/42, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org).
The article reflects the results of studying the peculiarities of the study of drought and heat resistance of three zoned varieties of oil radish, based on widely tested methods applied to a number of other agricultural crops. The viewpoints of many researchers on the processes of forming the temperature stress adaptations of plants have been systematised, taking into consideration the mechanism of drought and heat resistance and its role in providing the development of adaptive elements of the technology for growing cruciferous crops and climatic changes in the growing season in the area of economic distribution of oilseed radish. The peculiarities of the application of two laboratory techniques simultaneously have been studied. One of the methods is based on stress reactions of seeds with an assessment of the level of its germination after preliminary long-term heating of the wetted seeds by gradually increasing high temperatures. The second technique is based on the temperature reaction of the assimilation apparatus of plants to an environment with different temperatures in order to determine the degree of destructive effect of high temperatures on leaf structures with the subsequent determination of the degree of damage to the studied samples by staining the affected areas in the appropriate chemical environments. The application of this methodology has made it possible to determine that the threshold temperature value for forming the standard permissible levels of laboratory germination of seeds in the studied varieties of oil radish is in the range of 35-45 °C. The actual intensive decrease in laboratory germination for seeds with one-year biological age in the studied varieties of oil radish has been distinguished for the temperature regime of heating at 60 °C and higher with a zero level of laboratory germination at 80 °C. Considering the short heating period of pre-soaked seeds, oil radish plants are able to withstand a short-term increase in air temperature with sufficient soil moisture in the confidence range of 40-55 °C. Considering the decrease in laboratory germination for seeds of biological age 1-5 years already starting from the level of preliminary heating at a temperature of 30 °C – the optimum germination of oilseed radish varieties and the optimal growth and development of oilseed radish plants in conditions of sufficient soil moisture was most likely in the range of 20-25°C. Based on the results of the application of these methods in relation to drought and heat resistance, the studied varieties of oilseed radish can be placed in the following order of decreasing of the indicator ‘Raduga’-‘Zhuravka’-‘Lybid’. The prospects for further research in the field of optimizing drought and heat resistance diagnostics by laboratory methods have been formulated.
1. Izhik N. K. (1976). Polevaya vshozhest semyan [Field germination of seeds]. [in Russian].
2. Tsytsiura Ya.H. (2019). Zhyttiezdatnist nasinnia redky oliinoi ta yii skladovi metodamy laboratornoho otsiniuvannia [Viability of oilseed radish seeds and its components by laboratory evaluation methods]. Zbirnyk naukovykh prats VNAU. Silske hospodarstvo ta lisivnytstvo – Collection of scientific works of VNAU. Agriculture and forestry. № 12. 53–68 [in Ukrainian].
3. Kyrylenko V.V., Humeniuk O.V., Derhachov O.L. (2012). Rezultaty kompleksnoi diahnostyky posukho- ta zharostiikosti pshenytsi miakoi ozymoi [The results of a comprehensive diagnosis of drought and heat resistance of soft winter wheat]. Naukovo-tekhnichnyi biuleten Myronivskoho Instytutu pshenytsi im. V. M. Remesla NAAN – Scientific and technical bulletin of the Myronivka Wheat Institute named V.M. Remesla NAAS. № 11–12. 156–173. [in Ukrainian].
4. Mackov F. F. (1976). Raspoznavanie zhivyh, mertvyh i povrezhdennyh hlorofillonosnyh tkanej rastenij po reakcii obrazovaniya feofetina pri ocenke ustojchivosti k ekstremalnym vozdejstviyam [Recognition of living, dead and damaged chlorophyll-bearing plant tissues by the reaction of pheofetin formation when assessing resistance to extreme influences]. Metody ocenki ustojchivosti rastenij k neblagopriyatnym usloviyam sredy. L.: Kolos. [in Russian].
5. Tsytsiura Ya. H, Tsytsiura T. V. (2015). Redka oliina. Stratehiia vykorystannia ta vyroshchuvannia. Monohrafiia [Oilseed radish. Strategy of use and cultivation. Monograph]. [in Ukrainian].
6. Shahbazov V. G. (1981). Metodika dlya opredeleniya zharoustojchivosti. Kompleksnaya metodika rannej diagnostiki zasuho- i zharoustojchivosti myagkoj yarovoj pshenicy [Method for determining heat resistance. Complex method for early diagnosis of drought and heat resistance of soft spring wheat]. [in Russian].
7. Genkel P.A. (1982). Fiziologiya zharo- i zasuhoustojchivosti rastenij [Physiology of heat and drought resistance of plants]. [in Russian].
8. Grigoryuk I.A. (2003). Sovremennye metody issledovaniya i ocenki zasuho- i zharoustojchivosti rastenij: [Metodicheskoe posobie]. [Modern methods of research and assessment of drought and heat resistance of plants: Methodological guide]. [in Russian].
9. Volkova A.M., Perepadya Yu.G. (1976). Diagnostika zharostojkosti pshenicy, yachmenya i ogurcov po vshozhesti semyan posle progrevaniya. [Diagnostics of the heat resistance of wheat, barley and cucumbers by seed germination after heating]. Pod redakciej doktora biologicheskih nauk G.V.Udovenko. L.:Kolos. [in Russian].
10. Kosakovskaya I.V. (2008). Stressovye belki rastenij [Stressful plant proteins]. [in Russian].
11. Titov A.F., Talanova V.V. (2011). Lokalnoe dejstvie vysokih i nizkih temperatur na rasteniya [Local action of high and low temperatures on plants]. [in Russian].
12. Polishchuk I.S., Polishchuk M.I., Mazur O.V., Yurchenko N.A. (2018). Polova skhozhist nasinnia sortiv soi zalezhno vid strokiv sivby za temperaturnym rezhymom hruntu [Field germination of soybean seeds depending on sowing dates by soil temperature]. Zbirnyk naukovykh prats VNAU. Silske hospodarstvo ta lisivnytstvo – Collection of scientific works of VNAU. Agriculture and forestry. № 11. 36–43. [in Ukrainian].
13. Hasanuzzaman M., Nahar K., Alam M. (2013). Physiological, biochemical, and molecular mechanisms of heat stress tolerance in plants. International Journal of Molecular Science. Vol. 14. P. 9643–9684 [in English].
14. Xu S., Li J., Zhang X., Wei H., Cui L. (2006). Effects of heat acclimation pretreatment on changes of membrane lipid peroxidation, antioxidant metabolites and ultrastructure of chloroplasts in two cool-season turfgrass species under heat stress. Environ. Exp. Bot. 56. P. 274–285 [in English].
15.Rokickij P. F. (1973). Biologicheskaya statistika. [Biological statistics]. [in Russian].
Topics of the Journal:
Program goals (basic principles): questions of technology and efficiency of crop production, scientific and industrial aspects of agronomic specialties, ecology and forestry.
Articles on such scientific problems are accepted for printing:
Plant production, current state and prospects for development.
Agrochemistry and modern aspects of fertilizers and biologically active substances application.
Feed production, current state and prospects for development.
Selection, seed production, seed science and varieties.
Protection of plants.
Soil managment and soil quality improvement.
Forestry and gardening.
Vegetables and mushrooms, current status and development trends.
Ecology and environmental protection.
Theory and history of agricultural sciences and forestry.
Modern directions of development of arable land and forestry.
Innovative and investment activities in agriculture and forestry.
Directions and efficiency of crop production
Bioenergy resources of crop production and forestry.
Production of renewable energy from biological resources.
Organic farming, the main area of development and production of organic products.
Agriculture and modern crop rotation and soil cultivation.
Horticulture and viticulture.
Processing and storage of crop products.
Beekeeping, current status and development trends.
Contemporary biological research in crop production and forestry.
Progressive technologies of the agricultural complex.
Psychological and pedagogical problems of agrarian education.
The young scientist opinion.
Scientific journal "AGRICULTURE AND FORESTRY" was founded in 1995; it was entitled as Bulletin of Vinnytsya State Agricultural Institute.
In 2010-2014 was enritled as Collection of scientific works of Vinnytsia National Agrarian University.
It has been named as Agriculture and Forestry since 2015.
Listed in the updated list of scientific professional editions of Ukraine on agricultural sciences under the name Agriculture and Forestry (Order of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine of May 16, 2016; No. 515).